This illustration was sketched atop Avon Mountain on October 7, 1834. It appears in Barber’s Connecticut Historical Collections, featuring Barber’s views of many Connecticut towns.  The four largest buildings are, from left to right, the Canal Warehouse (the site of DaCapo’s Restaurant today), the Baptist Church, the Canal Administration building (ACC’s 12 West Main building today) and the Avon Congregational Church, which had been built just 15 years earlier. Barber’s book, wrote an observer, “came upon the people like a work of magic. Few had ever seen pictures of places with which they were acquainted.” (Photo courtesy Nora Howard collection)

Leave a Reply