David Hoadley, a native of Waterbury, designed our meetinghouse in 1818-19. We know this because his name appears in a note in the church archives about the construction.
Church historian J. Frederick Kelly, who came to ACC to study the meetinghouse, called Hoadley and Ithiel Town “the only designers of early Connecticut church edifices who are qualified to receive the title ‘architect’.” Born in 1774, Hoadley died in 1839. The portrait of David Hoadley was done by Henry Inman (1801-1846) and was sold at an auction in 2009. Source: Wikipedia (text and photo). Kelly’s quote comes from “Temples in Grace”, page 10.

Leave a Reply